In the same spirit of Gary Lamb’s occasional “Mind Dumps,” it’s time to share some thoughts I’ve been thinking about for a while. Yes, I present to you Thinking Out Loud.
– When we were in Indy last week, we took the kids to the Children’s Museum. I hadn’t been there since they did their major expansion. Although the T. Rex isn’t outside anymore, the dinosaurs breaking through the wall is a pretty good replacement. Their new DinoSphere exhibit was amazing. If that had been around when I was Aiden’s age, I would have been in heaven. I was almost in heaven anyway. I’ll try to post pictures later.
– The Spymaker exhibit at the museum was a good idea, but I thought it was kind of lame.
– We watched a show at the planetarium. It was ‘hosted’ by Mister Rogers. It was kind of sad at the end, knowing that he’s not around anymore.
– This whole Danica vs. Dan Wheldon feud is not good for Indy Car racing. Yes, they’re getting press attention. It’s the wrong kind of attention, though. The races are faster and closer than any other circuit. That’s what they should be promoting and encouraging the media to focus on. If you want whining and poor sportsmanship, go race in NASCAR. Keep it out of the IRL.
– The Friday before my interview in Muncie, I was writing a devotion for the interview. As I was working, I thought, ‘Man, I really need to get a laptop. That should be my first purchase when I take a preaching position.’ It would be very helpful in my sermon preparation. During the interview on Saturday, they mentioned that they have a laptop that would be available to me. Churches that size don’t normally have laptops already available to their staffs. I was impressed.
– When I heard about Richie Sambora entering rehab, the cynical side of me thought, ‘Oh, how convenient. Bon Jovi is about to release a new album. This is just another way to get some publicity for the album.’ Then I heard that he’s had a pretty rough year. His divorce with Heather Locklear was recently finalized. Then his father died of lung cancer. I hope this stint in rehab helps him.
– I lost ten pounds in two days while I was in Indy. I don’t recommend the weight loss method, though. Not very pleasant.
– Saw a familiar face and name flipping channels. Casey Stegall grew up in our neighborhood. My brother played with him quite a bit. Now he’s a correspondent with Fox News. He has the privilege of covering the whole Paris Hilton debacle (more on her later).