When I started blogging I began a tradition of highlighting the top ten list of things that happened to our family during the last year. Not all of them are happy things. But they’re landmarks on our journey as a family – things that changed who we are. And some pretty cool memories and experiences have been included, too.
Then the list took a hiatus.
A long hiatus.
But it’s back. And better than ever.
10. We lost some dear family members in 2011. Kevin and I were able to attend Aunt Betty’s funeral in Evansville. And although I desperately wanted to be there, I could not make it to Texas to say goodbye to Uncle Jeff.
9. Aly got to go to Horse Camp (at Rainbow Christian Camp) for the first time ever.
8. I got to take Aiden to his first-ever Colts game. Yes, it was pre-season. And no, Peyton Manning didn’t play. But it was definitely a memory-maker.
7. Aly was a Flower Girl for Jason and Kara. She did a fabulous job.
6. We visited the Browns in Charlotte, North Carolina. The most memorable day had to be going to Carowinds with them. Aiden and Alyson rode their first real roller coaster. It was life-changing. I even preached about it the following Sunday.
5. Christy won tickets to the Opening Night Event at the Heartland Film Festival. I really owe that event a blog post. It was a great date night. One of the most unique we’ve had in a long time, even though it was “just” dinner and a movie.
4. Mihret had a scary trip to the Emergency Room and then a stay of several days in the Pediatric ICU. It was probably the scariest night of my life.
3. We loaded the truck and moved to Greenwood, ready to see the next chapter that God is going to write with the Todd Family.
2. On Sunday morning of September 25, I was brought into a meeting after the worship service and informed that I had just preached my final sermon at Cowan Christian Church.
While that was certainly a life-changing event and has altered the course of our entire family, it doesn’t have as far-reaching implications as #1…
1. On February 13, 2011, I had the honor of baptizing my daughter in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I still get chills when I watch the video.
2011 was definitely one for the record books. It was full of some amazing highs and some pretty devastating lows. I’m excited to see what 2012 has to offer and can’t wait to see what the Todd Top Ten looks like this time next year!
What about you? What are some highlights (and maybe some low-lights) of your 2011?